I've noticed Reality TV makes me very irritable! It's gotten to the point where it becomes a daunting task to catch up on my shows from the past week. On Friday nights (how lame, I know) I binge watch my weekly rundown of Housewives, Love and (not so much) Hip Hop, Blackish etc.
HERE COMES THE ADDED STRESS
Recently I've grown tired of the Housewives' banter. I begin to feel tense when NeNe and Porsha argue or I notice anger rising when Kim Zolciak and Kenya Moore nearly come to blows. Yet I continue to press play! Why? With the day-to-day stress I manage, why do I look for more in my free time?
THERE COMES A TIME...
...when you grow tired, and transition away from the things that make you feel lousy! We're meant to thrive and live in peace. Earlier this week I posted some thoughts to Instagram regarding peace being a focused and intentional act. It's so true! In order to maintain peace you must protect your space and your mind. Don't go to the event if you're going to feel unwelcomed (I also recognize one must come outside of their comfort zone and try new things); don't eat the cake if you're going to feel lousy later; don't open the Instagram app if you're going to compare your progress. We MUST be strategic when allowing things and people and unwanted emotions and energy into our space.
HEY NEW YEAR! YOU LOOK SEXY
2018 is all about the second half of this transition I've been experiencing. I feel so good about this next phase of life and my 33rd year (Jesus year). So many shifts, changes and bouts with uncomfortability have gotten me to this point. And what's meant for me to achieve and experience in this new year (both calendar and life year) will only be achieved through a clear mind, pure heart, and caring spirit (none of which we see in reality tv). Only peace and spiritual evolution will get me there!
SO HOW DO YOU ACHIEVE PEACE, BRANDI?
A few of my tips...
- Don't engage in the drama! Pray a protective shield over your office, your home, your car. Ask God to keep any unclean, unpure people or spirits out of your space. You must also be prepared for the cleansing of your spirit if YOU are battling with deceit and unhappiness! Yea, you read that right! Sometimes we need to be convicted before we can share truths about others' energies!
- Download Headspace or any meditation app (another blog post coming soon re: meditation apps) My friend Boonie over at The Boonie Breakdown will help out with this one.
- Do a "happy inventory"! What makes you happy? Taking walks? Helping people? Spa days? Traveling? Write it down and do it!
- Listen to calming music. Whether it's Pandora or YouTube, search for the "calming music" or "spa" channel. When I have headaches I go straight to (my gospel actually) the calming station on YouTube. You would be surprised what the sounds of a babbling brook can do for you lol
- Purchase some crystals and hold them in your hands when you begin to stress. Sometimes I hold them when I pray in the mornings. My favorite are from Chakara Zulu Crystals. Search her site and buy what you need for what you're experiencing.
- Smudge weekly or as often as needed. At one point I was so stressed I was smudging daily! YIKES! I've purchased sage from various places but I really like the look and feel of this shop. So I'll be purchasing from there soon!
- Soaking your feet takes away SO MUCH stress and anxiety. I recently went for a birthday massage (thanks Ashley) at Ojas Spa in Pikesville (HIGHLY suggested). After my massage, the aesthetician suggested I soak in a tub or at least soak my feet twice a week. Even though we may not stand on our feet all day, the weight of our bodies (figuratively and literally) rests there. Relax them and SOAK them.
- Lavender spray (two sprits) to the face whenever you're ready to roll your eyes and blurt out "first of all, you're not my momma"! Buy from here!
- Last but not least, PRAY! In the morning, during lunch, in the evening, before bed, before the meeting, while out walking, at dinner etc. Make it habit. Make it second nature. Ask the Holy Spirit for peace, discernment, guidance, revelation, sympathy, empathy, clear thoughts, rational thinking, great judgement. ALL-AH-DAT
SO BACK TO REALITY TV
Will I give it up today? Nah! Tomorrow? May be, may be not. But it's coming soon. One day I'll grow tired of the tension and just walk away from it and never press play again! Peace is intentional; even if it's as simple as retiring the Georgia peaches of Atlanta!